Friday, April 1, 2016

Pluck & Not Luck Layout for Another Freaking Scrappy






































I haven't done a scrapbook page in so long that I got confused and did an Art journal one on 12 by 12 paper! No, I am just kidding, but a lot of this is what is in my brain at the present moment. Yes, I think about citrus all the time....

Don't try to twist your neck to read the journaling...I've got it here:

About six months ago a guy (baby engineer) I worked with was complaining about how slow the industry we were in had gotten....He asked me earnestly yet inappropriately "what are YOU going to do-none of your business seemed to be a jerky response however I thought to myself-what won't I do? What if I fly and thrive and don't look back....besides I'm most worried about the clothes...

Let me explain. I have found in the variety of jobs I've had over the years that most people pigeon hole you into what you have done most recently. At least with a resume, they look at what you have in the past, however with mine you have to skip 13 plus years to get to something before the gas industry which is just about gone in this area. So baby engineers may think all they have to offer the world is their stamp. No so. You might have to start at the very beginning again, but if you can swing it...it's doable. I am onto my third career at this point, which I hear is pretty typical for this day and age.






































I have found as I have been job hunting the past couple of months that the resume really doesn't mean jack shit. I got the interview for the job I'm moving onto because I knew the guy. Normally my resume would have been tossed into a pile as over qualified and I'd never have gotten the call. People I haven't talked to in over a decade have spotted my resume out and about and have reached out to me. It's not about the stamp, it's about what kind of worker you are. If you are an over promising under delivering slather, it doesn't matter what you have on that piece of paper. If you are washing out garbage cans after fraternity parties (done that) or saving the world...& being paid to take care of whatever it is, you need to do your very best.

Anyhow, onto the image of the orange that is a tomato. Lexi made that image last year at some point in Photoshop for an art class. Believe it or not, it didn't get a great grade, I however loved it. Which is of course why I have been hoarding it for just the right page. I think it fits my point. What you see on the outside isn't always what is on the inside of a person. The baby engineer only saw me as a Project Manager. What am I really? I'm a good worker. Adaptable. Good at getting shit done.




































Which brings me around to the pink Michael Jackson coat letter I wrote my Grandma Skip when I was little. This new gig involves dressing up. I have worn jeans and stomping boots for years. Yeah, I'm not really worried about doing a good job at my new job. I know I will. I am worried I will be bad at dressing up. However, let's go back to that I'm adaptable thing and give me the benefit of the doubt. I think I'll be just fine. I will however skip wearing a pink Michael Jackson coat. I think that ship has sailed out of the fashion industry, thankfully!

This page was made for Another Freaking Scrappy. Anne wanted us to use Luck in our title. While I think some parts of job hunting might involve some luck, there is a much larger percentage of being plucky and having the courage to keep turning over rocks until you find the right thing.

Anyhow, jumping off my soap box! Although I am excited to see your pages if you play along with our challenge! That would be top notch!


9 comments:

  1. A hugely entertaining post in every way. I know a stuffed toy dog who thinks about citrus all the time, but that's another story, written by my brother. Love the page and that letter! And the news about the job! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those engineers. I feel you pain. For the record, I don't care what your job title is, I'll always call you "friend". Congrats on the new job. Love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those engineers. I feel you pain. For the record, I don't care what your job title is, I'll always call you "friend". Congrats on the new job. Love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good on the scrapbook page...strong oranges and blue on the pastel back and you slogging along on the face of the Orange...very striking and fun. Good going on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good on the scrapbook page...strong oranges and blue on the pastel back and you slogging along on the face of the Orange...very striking and fun. Good going on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good on the scrapbook page...strong oranges and blue on the pastel back and you slogging along on the face of the Orange...very striking and fun. Good going on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic layout! Beautiful photo! Love the blossoms and shimmery letters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful.... all of it... and so true. It really hit home for me. Although I do have to disagree with one thing... I think it would be a good idea for pink Michael Jackson coats to come back into style... although I was always more of a Prince fan than Michael Jackson... but a pink Prince coat would also be cool. Anyway, Mitra... right on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the record, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lexi's picture. A tomato concealed within an orange peel...is that not the coolest thing?! Yes, yes it is and I totally see why you hoarded it. Secondly, love seeing that letter to your grandma and thirdly....CONGRATULATIONS on the new job. I'm so very happy for you and I think you'll dazzle and amaze them with your brilliance and perhaps you can champion casual Fridays and after a few years maybe an occasional jean day Wednesday too!
    Awesome LO and post!!!
    Big hugs

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!