Friday, September 26, 2014

Mantle Madness























So before we moved to Corning, I knew we were buying a house with a mantle. The whole idea seemed romantic. Decorating it season to season, a fire place, and all that jazz.

Then we moved in and THE MAN spent 2,000 hours getting the media cabinet set up. In case you are wondering what that is like, imagine trying to turn a calf around in a Momma Cow with your arm...oh never mind. Needless to say, it was painful, people were grumpy, and wires were everywhere. Add in having shingles and I decided making it pretty was a project for another day.

IN FACT, I kept telling THE MAN nicely to just get all the things working and I'll work on situating the wires, etc. very soon. ;-)
















Turns out soon was really much, MUCH later. In fact, so much later everyone celebrated when they came home one day and things were finally tweaked around. It started with that owl that I happened upon at Home Depot. It randomly caught my eye and prompted me to pull out the fall stuff.


I then went back later for a second glass silvery pumpkin for the other side. I'm pretty pleased with it, which doesn't mean it will stay this way for long.

Now I'm in the mantle decorating business, I have already started thinking Christmas....maybe topiary....maybe big letters...

Happy Friday! The oldest and I are off to the Corning Museum of Glass to see what kind of trouble we can get ourselves into!

5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, putting things together, it never is easy ! Love the mantle, love the clock and Christmas, wow look forward to seeing what you do with it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you! It looks fabulous:):) And I can imagine your feelings of miserable-ness facing this when not feeling well:/ We really don't 'do' the pumpkin thing like this in any shape or form here in Oz...maybe it's cos 1/2 the country don't really have a change of season. Apart from hot and hotter, as some of the wits from up north say!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely house decorating! And as for starting decorating for Christmas... Humm I guess the shops will be getting stuff soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long story short, I had that done so I can relate to the cow AND lived through the tale of the wires! What you accomplished here is a work of art. The Autumn feeling mixed with tech savvy surround sound entertainment is phenomenal! This is THE mantle of all mantles and what a wonderful place for a family to gather. OMG...I can't wait for Christmas pictures now! So many places for the shelf elf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to have fireplaces with mantel pieces in every room in our old house. In this house we don't have one, and for years now I have been meaning to make a page called "Missing mantelpieces". I love your decorating.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!